In choose this category; the foreigner who is related to a Costa Rican citizen (parents, minor or elderly children with disabilities or siblings who are minors or elderly with disabilities); or to whom the Restricted Visa and Refugee Commission grants said condition. It allows people to stay in the country indefinitely and work in any paid activity.
The temporary residency is a temporary authorization to entry and stay in the country in which the immigration authorities authorize the foreigner to carry out a specific activity. The subcategories are the following:
• Spouse of a Costa Rican citizen.
• Religious people.
• Executives, representatives, managers and technical personnel of companies.
• Specialized workers on their own or in a dependency relationship.
• Investors: The person must show that has made an investment in the country of at least US $ 200,000 in real estate, registrable assets, stocks, and productive or national interest projects.
• Scientists, professionals, interns or specialized technicians.
• Correspondents and staff of press agencies.
• Renters: It must be demonstrated through a document issued by a competent authority that during a period of not less than two years the person will receive an income in a continuous, stable, permanent and uninterrupted manner of at least US $ 2,500. For this, an investment in deposit certificates in a financial institution can be made.
• Pensioners: It must be demonstrated with a letter issued by an official pension institution of the country of origin that the person receives a lifetime pension of at least US $ 1,000 per month.
Additionally, the above categories allow the spouse and their minor or elderly children with disabilities to apply as dependents of the applicant.
The following are the special categories:
Within this category we can find legal stays, which is an authorization to stay in the country that is granted because of the specialty of the person or activity that he/she is going to carry out in the country. The subcategories are the following:
Immigration categories for those who want to work in Costa Rica.
Those who wish to work in Costa Rica should take into consideration the recommended and not recommended work activities by the Labor Ministry. Some of the immigration categories to work are the following:
a. Executive of a recognized or unrecognized company. Recognized companies are those that are registered in the General Directorate of Migration and Foreigners (DGME), the following companies can be registered:
b. Legal stay
c. Special guests of the State, their institutions and for security reasons
d. Workers linked to specific projects and projects of public interest
e. Self-employed workers.
f. Self-employed workers in sectors such as agriculture, construction and services.
g. Specific Occupation Worker hired by an individual.
h. Specific Occupation Worker hired for domestic services.
i. Specific Occupation Worker hired by legal entity.
j. Transfer Workers
k. Post Sale Workers
l. Temporary Workers
m. Transboundary Workers
n. Worker as Visitor of Business
o. Teachers and Researchers
p. Artists, athletes and members of public shows